Kodomo-ni-Egao changed its name from Operation Smile Japan (OSJ) after it dissociated with Operation Smile, Inc. on 1 July 2016. OSJ started its activities from the summer of 2009 by sending Japanese medical volunteers to medical missions. It was officially founded on 1 June 2010 and was approved authorized NPO status by Tokyo Metropolitan Government on 16 October 2012 to be qualified as a tax exempt charity for donations received.
- 1) Objectives
There are so many children suffering lip and palate clefts in Asia,
because the cleft babies are born 1 out of 400-500 from yellow races whereas white and black races are 1 out of 700-800.
They have a difficulty of speaking, sometimes hardly eat and drink,
being bullied outside by other children.
We dispatch volunteer doctors and nurses to the Asian countries to provide free surgeries where shortage of plastic surgeons obvious.
- 2) Smile Asia (SA)
- Kodomo-ni-Egao is a member of Smile Asia which consist of Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, India, Cambodia and US (Bright Faces).
SA holds 30-35 missions (free mass surgeries) per year.
We participate 4-5 missions. One mission covers 50-100 patients after screened 100-150.
- 3) Activities
- High Phong, Vietnam, sent a volunteer doctor to be covered by TBS , one of major TV networks.
It was on aired on News 23 and documentary “Hodo-no-Tamasii”.
- We recruited donators such as Shiseido Hanatsubaki Fund, Kiwanis Japan, Mason foundation, Ripllet, Dentsu, Ikebana-International, and so on.
- Orissa India. Sent 4 doctors and nurses.
- Conducted World Care Program (WCP) which could not operate and cure one day at the mission.
We found 1and half year baby girl, Angel suffering face cleft from right eye to the lip
in Manila, Philippines, fetched her and mother to Tokyo.
Dr. Hosaka and his group operated her who spent a month and 2 weeks, TBS prime
time News show“N Sta”reported her status 7 times in the show which generated our
awareness ratio up to north more than of 30%.
- Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Dispatched 8 doctors and nurses.
- Yangon, Myanmar. Sent 9 doctors and nurses.
- Phnom Penh Cambodia. 3 doctors.
- Philippines Mega Mission at 5 sites.
Sent doctors and nurses to Manila and Davao.
Dr. Hosaka conducted surgery on Angel second time.
TV-U Yamagata covered the mission and broadcasted News Show 3 times in July.
- Medan, Indonesia sent 7 doctors and others.
- Luzon and Cavite, Philippines. Sent 3 doctors.
- TBS on aired 30-minute Documentary “Hodo-no-Tamashii”, titled “Present Children Smile” featuring Philippines mission and Angel becoming beautiful girl after 2 times operations.
- Bacolod, Philippines. Sent 2 doctors.
- Yangon, Myanmar. Sent 5 doctors and others.
- Paro, Bhutan. Dispatch Japanese team consist of 8 persons.
- Shan, Myanmar. Dispatched Japanese team consisted of 7 members.
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Dispatched Japanese team consisted of 3 members.
- Yangon, Myanmar. Dispatched Japanese team consisted of 8 members.
- Batam, Indonesia. Dispatched Japanese team consisted of 4 members.
- Shan, Myanmar. Dispatched Japanese team consisted of 5 members.
- 4) Board members
- CEO: Keiji Matsushima
- Former CEO of Dentsu America and of Dentsu Wunderman.
- Medical Director: Dr. Yoshiaki Hosaka
- Chief of lip and palate cleft center at Tokyo General Hospital.
Professor emeritus from Showa Univ.
- Director: Dr. Tomoo Tajima
- Professor emeritus from Tokai Univ.
Former chair person of breast cancer medical association, Japan
- Director: Nobuo Takei
- Former managing director of Yokogawa electrics.
- Director: Dr. Shinya Yoshimoto
- Chief of Lip, Palate and Facial Reconstructive Center at Southern Tohoku General Hospital
Visiting Professor from Showa University
- Director: Hideyuki Takashima
- Former Executive of NHK
Former Professor from Faculty and Graduate School of Information and Communications of Bunkyo University.
- Auditor-secretary: Jun Okubo
- Former chief of accounting section from Kao.
- 5) Bank account for the donations
- Name of the account:
- Yucho bank
- Account Number 00120-587718
- Mitsui Sumitomo Bank Ginza branch
- Account Number 026-8378574
- Online Donation